Sunday, July 15, 2007

RE: A Few Simple Instructions for the Challenged Among Us

Okay, so the post I had here about when to call 9-1-1 and when to leave it alone may have not been the best to read...it was a little sarcastic (I know your shocked that I may have been sarcastic!) and may have contained information that could be viewed as not so good, so I have deleted 90% of it. Plus, it totally freaked out some of my co-workers when I said that I had had enough of the not emergency calls on 9-1-1, and they panicked (on my behalf) thinking that I may be in jeopardy of spilling the beans. I would NEVER divulge information learned through my job--I totally respect that I do not met/talk to/see people at their best, and I would never exploit that. I apologize to those of you that may have been offended. Please know that despite my feelings listed here, I do encourage anybody anywhere to call 9-1-1 when they feel that they and/or another person are in danger.

That being said, I still have some issues that I want to say, and so here they are...consider them my strong irks that I really want to get off my chest:

*Do not blame the 9-1-1 operator for the crisis at hand. We do not control the weather, the drivers on the road, etc.
*Do not tell the operator what you expect for the taxes you pay (chances are they are also paying taxes and therefore pay their own salaries)
*Do not start with "This may not be an emergency..." If you call 9-1-1, we expect it to be an emergency (see above).
*Do not deny calling. Somehow we got your number/name/address...and it wasn't the 9-1-1 fairies that gave it to us.
*Do not give your child/children the phone to play with. It is not cute to have officers show up on your doorstep because Johnny was gurgling into the line...and somebody else may have needed that 9-1-1 line for a real emergency.

Okay, I may be okay on this topic for a while :)

No comments: