Saturday, August 25, 2007

Trouble with Toilet Paper

I am a terrible human being. Cases in point:

1.) While shopping at the local grocery store, I saw a woman with something odd and white tucked into the backside of her pants and flapping in the wind. I stepped a bit closer, and discovered that it appears that a piece of toilet paper somehow got tucked up and her shirt was just short enough that the last square was visible. Do you think I stopped this poor woman from facing humiliation throughout the store as she unknowingly reached for a box of cereal or a can of spaghetti sauce and the world was drawn to her backside and therefore the square? Nope, I did not. I couldn't figure out how to approach this lady and tell her that I was watching her back end and saw the paper. I have no idea what made me see this...and I wasn't sure how to begin the conversation--"ooh, have you tried this...and by the way, you have something on your rear" didn't sound right. I actually started towards her twice, but couldn't bring myself to interrupt her shopping.

2.) While out and about in public, I magically ended up in the stall without any toilet paper. (No, this did not happen after the above incident, but rather a couple of days prior to the grocery store incident, so it wasn't fate or God's way of teaching me a valuable lesson for not helping the other lady). Fortunately, I am addicted to paper napkins from fast food restaurants, and almost always have some in my purse (I guess eating all the Happy Meals and such with my sorority sisters' children have taught me to be prepared, especially since I'm pretty quick to mop up the kiddos and their spills). So I am washing my hands and see a lady from another stall leave the restroom with a piece of TP attached to the heel of her shoe. I was so fascinated with the pondering of how it is that where TP is not needed, there it is, that I let her leave without saying anything. And in this case, I honestly would have told her!

Just to prevent fate from sticking me in a stall without TP or a situation that might lead me to be the person looking like a fool, I am getting ready to switch out purses that will a) carry a roll of TP and b) be large enough to push over my shoulder and around my back end so that most of my back end will be covered. Or I may try just checking out my rear in a mirror while I'm drying my hands.

No comments: