Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Georgia on my Mind

Vacation time is rapidly approaching, and as I'm at work on my day off wishing I was elsewhere, it's totally on my mind!

Every year hubby and I have gone to a different state for our anniversary. When we reach our 50th, we'll have been to all 50 states. What a fun idea--and not one we conjured up on our own. I actually stole it from an attorney that said she and her husband were going to do this--it was around the time of our second anniversary, and so I went home and announced we should be just like So-and-so...fortunately, hubby agreed.

So for the past six years we have gone to various states. Our personal spin on the idea--can't be total posers--was that we'll go some place we haven't been or wouldn't normally go. Our first year didn't really count; my grandfather had recently passed away and we were in Maryland to check on my grandmother and to attend a friend's wedding over our anniversary, so we'd been there before. The second year we went to Pagosa Springs, CO...had a "free" (sit through the resort presentation and stay in the area 2 nights for free) hotel and we're nothing if not thrifty! The third year we were broke, and stayed in NM but rode the Tram in Albuquerque--something neither of us had done. Year four found us in Liberty, KS at the Wizard of Oz Museum...surprising because neither of us just absolutely loved the movie; it was a place I'd wanted to go since I was like 10 because someone I knew went there and it sounded fun. Year five put us alone on a horse ranch in OK (haven't lived until you've watched my husband ride a horse for five days in a row, twice a day). Year six we waited until the last minute and had to break our rule of going somewhere to do something new, so we just went to Vegas (but we stayed in a new hotel and saw things we hadn't before, so that sort of counts, right?). Which brings us to this year.

Because last year we waited until the last minute because we were still pretty rocky, hubby was surfing the net and found ghost tours in Savannah. It was WAY too much money for a last minute ordeal, so we agreed to contact a travel agent and go the following year. After a year of repeatedly hunting down the travel agent (and having her tell us to book everything but the airline tickets ourselves--what a waste of time!), we are set to go. We're taking a mystery cruise, going to Paula Dean's restaurant, driving down the coast to see an island where wild horses roam, taking a ghost tour (if I get off my duff and book it!), and finally, FINALLY, hubby will see an ocean.

How does someone live to be over 30 and not see or swim in an ocean?

Anyway, as previously discussed, I love the south, and I'm sure I'll fall in love with Savannah. If I only make it that far...how is it that Tuesday feels like a million years away?

No comments: