Friday, November 23, 2007

The Kiddo, C, and CO

I got so caught up in the dog and in Hubby's new hobby (to be fair, he's only had 1 out of the 6-pack), that I forgot to share about Colorado last weekend.

I love Colorado. I think that if we could live anywhere, I'd totally live there. Beautiful scenery, great mountains, blue skies (even when it rains!)--and I hate the outdoors. However, the ease of flowing from one city to the next and the comforts that come with suburbia, and the option of having all four seasons and green grass can't be beat. Every time we come home from CO, we talk about how great it would be to live there. Of course, we said that about Phoenix too--but Hubby confessed that he doesn't want the heat that comes with Phoenix in July :)

So our mission was to see our kiddo before he ships out to Iraq. I tease Kiddo that he's the little brother I never wanted but got stuck with somehow, and he responds in kind to me. Years ago, Hubby was a Sunday School teacher for junior high kids at the old church, and he caught wind that there was a need for a junior high youth group. I can't even swear that we were married when he started working with jr. highers in a youth group setting, and that evolved into Hubby being the deacon dude in charge of the youth ministry--which we did for like 7 years. Kiddo was part of the first junior high youth group, at the tender, impressionable age of 11. Hubby took on a big role in several teenagers' lives, but he took on an even bigger role with Kiddo. Hubby and Kiddo did everything together for years, and Hubby was a big brother/mentor/friend/leader/authority for Kiddo. Kiddo moved in with us his senior year in high school, and when Hubby and I separated and Kiddo had to move out, it broke all of our hearts. Kiddo was "adopted" by my parents, and I am truly blessed that Kiddo's mom is a good friend and sister in Christ and that she "adopted" me. Bottom line is that our lives are totally mixed with Kiddo's life, and I can't imagine not having Kiddo in it. So when Kiddo entered the Army to be in the Infintry, my heart sank.

The military is a good place for Kiddo to be, and he has grown and matured since entering it over a year ago. Unfortunately, Kiddo got pulled for 24 hour duty the weekend we were going to see him, so we only got him for a couple of hours Friday night. We took him to dinner and to an awful movie (hey, he chose it!), and then it was time to part ways. I asked Kiddo if he was frightened about going to Iraq, and he answered that he knew it wasn't a matter of if he was going to be hit, but when and whether it kills him or not is not in his hands. Kiddo currently drives a big machine, and it will take a ton of prayers for him and his crew to return safely. So start praying now! His tour is for 15 months, and they leave in the next week to 10 days reportedly.

I'm a nervous wreck for him, and I know Hubby is worried for him as well. We're so proud of him, and we're so thankful to our men and women of the Armed Forces--especially today they're on my mind, because without them, I wouldn't be free.

Saturday we met a friend from my work in Castle Rock and blew my paycheck. How weird is it that I don't get together with this friend in my own state, but put us both out of state and we hang out? Her daughter is gorgeous, and 2, and she was quite taken with Hubby. We did the shopping thing for hours, and went to meet my long lost friend C for the evening.

I lived in the big city in NM for about a year when I was young and single, and it was there that I met C and her husband and their darling boys. The boys will always hold a very special place in my heart, as will C and her husband. I don't think I can ever thank C enough for her support when we lived in the city--she was my main support system--and it was in my friendship with C and while I was living there that I really began to discover who I was. Unfortunately, the boys were sick, and C's husband stayed home with them, so we didn't see them.

It totally rocked to hang out with C. She and Hubby are a lot alike, and have the same sense of humor and trains of thought. C was great enough to venture into Victoria's Secret with me, and she was good enough to Hubby to prevent some "underwear disasters" that she thought may happen. C and Hubby are so much alike that it's a little scary to sit at the table between them. We closed down PF Changs and then went to Dennys for pie. Is it a bad sign that the first thing I noticed about a dude in Dennys was his prison tats across his neck? After we ran out of room and places to go, we parted ways and agreed not to let another 4 years go by without seeing each other. We won't go into how she's been to NM a hundred times and just hasn't seen me...or how I've been in CO a hundred times and just haven't seen her :)

So we're home this weekend, and then we're off to Phoenix next weekend for another weekend of blowing my paycheck...hopefully that trip will involve actually purchasing items for others too!

No comments: