Sunday, October 14, 2007

Another Day of OT

Another day off and I've been suckered into work, so you know it's time for more useless babble from me. What's on my mind? A couple of things:

1) Why is it that I agree to come into work for a mere 4 hours to cover someone that calls in sick, and my relief waits until AFTER I'm in the door at work to announce that she's not coming in at 1830 as agreed? Shouldn't there be some sort of "NO" course of action for this? I can't leave until she does meander in. She did agree to come at 2030, but seriously, at that point I've already missed my family commitment, and I might as well stay until her regularly scheduled shift at 2230. So I called her and told her so. Ok, so I didn't tell her that since I had to miss my family thing--but I did say that I might as well stay the extra 2 hours.

2) This is the second night that I've been called to cover for someone on the weekends. It's a darn good thing that I switched to the weekdays--who else would cover? Last night we were watching the Mythbusters in Albuquerque, so I didn't come in when I was called...which gives another co-worker the chance to be a martyr since she worked 12 hours, left for 4 hours, and came back to work 16 hours. When I worked the weekends, nobody would cover for us, and we ended up hardly ever calling in--we just came and sniffled/groaned/took a million over the counter drugs and suffered. I do feel bad for the co-worker that had to work a zillion hours, and I did offer to come in once we got back to town this morning at 0100, but she was adamant that I have a day off...perhaps because we sort of had a warning that I was going to have to work today, and I'm working some awful hours this week (like 9 days in a row, and 6 of those are 12 hour shifts).

3) Thank God for DVRs and TiVO. Apparently, the only time anything can happen in Podunk happens during "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" and "Desperate Housewives." No, I don't know why the power is off or how long it will be off--I'm 9-1-1/Police/Fire/Ambulance, and although I can sound like the voice of God, I'm not an electrician and my crystal ball is out of commission :)

4) Why is it that the more clothes I buy, the less I have to wear? Maybe it's because I haven't done laundry in a while...or because when I work, I eat a million more calories than when I'm off and I keep outgrowing the clothes...I'm sure it's not either of those.

5) Thinking of outgrowing things, I think I broke my couch. We got the couches about 2 years ago (we'd ordered them way before they arrived), and while sitting on the couch the other weekend, the couch made a groaning noise and felt like the legs were flying out to the other side of it (know what a colt looks like attempting to get to its legs for the first time and the legs keep splaying out awkwardly while it struggles to get them under its belly?). We flew off the couch, but there are no broken legs or visible sinking in the middle, no coils sticking out or boards dropping. However, when you sit in the middle, you can feel yourself sinking. If I'm not at work tomorrow, I'm supposed to call La-Z-Boy and ask what's up.

6) OOH! We got new end tables and a coffee table. That means we now have 2 whole rooms in the house that don't have any hand-me-downs/other peoples' taste in them. YEA! We're almost grownups!

7) WOW! We just got a B&E in progress...and my co-worker kicks butt :) The town is safe tonight.

8) Can't remember this point because it turns out the B&E was an animal in a yard. The town is still safe tonight.

9) Know those little vacation scams? The ones that offer you so many nights/days/cash back if you listen to a 2 hour sales speech? We got another offer, and it's tempting, because since I was traveling every month earlier this year, it seems odd not to be traveling until Christmas, and since I have weekends off, I'm forcing Hubby to run away with me to quick weekend getaways. Ok, so actually, it's his idea to go back to Phoenix in November, and I think I'm going to ask him to go to Colorado Springs in a couple of weekends to see our kiddo that's shipping off to the Middle East right before Christmas (and maybe I can finally see my homegirl that I haven't seen in a million years). However, this offer is for Las Vegas, and we were just there a year ago, and we don't really drink or gamble. Hubby likes the idea I think, and there are always shows, so maybe we will go...and then we'll get suckered into the timeshare thing because we always do.

10) Okay, I lied. I'm actually going on a cruise in November, like in just over 2.5 weeks. With a bunch of women I don't know. There will be 2 friendly faces in the group, and they're all ladies of the church that Hubby has been attending for over a year (and that I'm supposed to attend now that I have weekends off--hahaha--the one Sunday I had off and that I hadn't worked the night before until 0630 that Sunday morning, I did go). I'm a little nervous because I don't know the majority of them even by sight, and I have no idea who my cruisemate is. However, you can't go wrong with a cruise to Cozumel!

11) If all my leave slips get approved, I'll be off every Friday in November except the day after Thanksgiving, which is a holiday and therefore double time and a half. Now who's being a work slacker?

I'm all out of thoughts other than my tummy growling and I get to go home! Yippee!

No comments: