Saturday, October 25, 2008

Time Flies

Remember being a kid and waiting FOREVER for Christmas or for a birthday? It felt like time was so slow. I remember as a child being told that as I got older, time would speed up. It has. The Christmas decorations are out in the stores, and I swear that summer just ended.

I had no idea it had been over a month since my last post. Things have just slid on by, leaving me as more of a spectator rather than a participant in life.

We took a trip to Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago. We'd been planning for years to celebrate the youngest of our sorority chapter turning the nasty 3-0. Another sister and I are the babies, and so conveniently, we split the difference between our birthdays, and headed out to Vegas with four other ladies. We stayed at the Palazzo, which was wonderful. We had two rooms, with three of us in each room, so we each had our own bed. One of the girls and I flew out a day later than the others, and so we were a day behind on our shopping. We had the required breakfast at Le Village Buffet at Paris. We trekked out to Zappos...where I did not buy one pair of shoes. What's wrong with me? Two of the ladies and I went to a lingerie specialty shop and the other ladies went to a Coach outlet--good thing they left me behind! We had great meals. We did hardly any gambling...I won $0.05! Whoo hoo! We mainly just shopped and shopped and shopped some more. I came home with some new stuff. Hubby sent a dozen long stemmed red roses to my room, so I gather he missed me just fine :) I got a pedicure complete with a "marshmallow mask" that felt like heaven after all the walking we did. And then it was time to come home.

Hubby and I are in the process of adopting a baby that is due in January. I'm trying not to say too much so as not to jinx it. I do go on more on my other blog about it. However, because time is slipping by, we've just realized that we have like eight weeks to get ready for the baby...or at least to gather the necessities, like bottles and diapers and clothing and car seat to bring the baby home. So we've finally broken down and started checking out the very limited baby places. Good news is that we've had many trips to Albuquerque, so we've started to get an idea of stuff. Hubby summed it all up when a salesclerk at one place asked if she could help with anything, and Hubby asked "have anything for sticker shock?" It's totally possible to get too carried away. Fortunately, Hubby and I have great friends, and there are many willing to loan/gift/etc things to us, as well as to let us pick their brains. There's something to be said about being some of the last in the group to have children :)

Work has been plodding along. I have received a promotion which equated to more duties, more pissed off people, more headache, and no more pay or days off. However, I am learning a lot about myself as a supervisor and I have been interested to watch how relationships change based on rank. I'm about to be transferred off the weekend graveyard shift to a weekday shift...the shift that stressed me almost to the point of quitting in May. The good news is that I'll have weekends off and can go back to church. We'll also do some more travelling, and then I'll take six weeks off for the baby, so with all the good stuff coming, it won't be so hard to get through this other shift.

The serious drama will happen in December, when I hit the big 3-0. Hubby is helping me ease into it by taking me on a cruise for seven nights in the southern and eastern Caribbean. We actually have two full days in San Juan, Puerto Rico too. It will hopefully be our last childless trip, and if I have to give up my youth at some point, I'm thrilled to be doing it on an island. Far away from everything else. The trip is helping me almost forget what terrible things will surely come when I'm old. I'm sure I'll need a walker to get off the plane home.

So that's about all. Looking at it here, it doesn't seem like all that much has happened. Having lived through the past four weeks or so, it seems like a whole lifetime of things has happened. If things are this fast paced at 29, what happens at 30?

No comments: