Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sisterly Love

I am a member of a sorority.

I know what you're thinking--somebody actually let me in?!? Or maybe you're thinking--but you didn't go to college? To answer both, I'm surprised they let me in, and nope, I didn't go to school.

There's an amazing group of women that have saved me from myself over and over again, and I never would have met most of them had I not been invited to join. I've been a member of this chapter for almost 6 years...wow, that's crazy! It doesn't seem that long ago...maybe my math sucks. Probably because I didn't go to college :) However, this sorority is not an academic or collegiate affiliated sorority. We were started by a man that was a traveling salesman and he started the "National What to Read" club, and from that, we were generated. We do have chapters on campuses, but we're mainly a service organization.

Anyway, each summer there is the State convention, and we load up and travel to some usually God-forsaken part of New Mexico. While that describes most of New Mexico, this year was in Silver City, and I actually found Silver City to be pretty. Prior to getting there, we had to go through some incredibly depressing parts of the state. I have to interrupt my sisterly thoughts here, because I was really taken aback by some things on our travels. I don't know if I'll ever understand how it is that chili is our state's livelihood and most precious commodity (teeheehee), but Hatch, home of the chili, is so poverty stricken and poor. Talk about a humbling moment...driving through Hatch and the outskirts of Hatch, seeing the large ranches spread out on land that most would never imagine trying to grow something, watching the groups of what are most likely migrant workers working the fields by hand, seeing the falling down trailers and trying to comprehend how some parts of the state can be one way while others within a 4 hour drive are so different just blew my mind. I'm aware that New Mexico is amongst the poorest states in the nation, but there's something that just opened my eyes while we were driving through Hatch...and into Deming.

I know next to nothing about Deming, other than I've met some dispatchers from there years ago, and I know it's reputed to have a large gang issue, lots of illegals, and I'm pretty sure it was either Deming or Lordsberg that had the last school shooting in the state. Deming was again depressing. I don't think it helped either town that the drought is so huge and the terrain so rough and wild appearing...it felt like the Wild Wild West. The people in Deming were nice (well, the people in Blakes Lotaburger. The chick in Walmart told me that her job was so stressful and nobody could understand what it was like to work under pressure and the kind of pressure she has on her. I know I would never understand pressure at work!), but I honestly hope that we're never told to live there.

I digress.

So I trekked through the Wild Western part of the state...well, it's actually all Southern...with Hubby. Hubby had to invade the girls' weekend, and I'm not sure that was such a hit with the other sisters from my chapter. They all know why Hubby had to attend (see my other blog for all the boring long stories...you'll catch on quick!), and so I was banished from the car ride with them to ride in solitude with Hubby. Hubby's not bad company, and I love him; he's just not a sister. I don't know if this made me more off-balance than normal, or if it's just because I'm super sensitive, but I was so dreading the weekend. Not to be one of the girls, not to get to share in the bonding of the car ride--it had me bummed out. The girls were great, and I really appreciated their attempts to be sure I was included. Once we arrived, the girls were quick to share the personal jokes they had created on the ride down, and while I wasn't there and therefore didn't get them, the attempt was truly appreciated.

We spent the weekend dressing alike, which is no easy task, as I am a size double digits to the max, and I think that one of them was a 2, one a 4, and the other an 8. I love my sisters, and they are all beautiful, strong, passionate women that would look great in a burlap sack. I am a fat hormonal wench that can't fit into most clothing especially this week and next. This is where my sisters again showed me remarkable love--each morning they greeted me with how beautiful I looked, or how great my choice of top was (of course, we were wearing the same clothes, but for half of Saturday, we only wore the same skirt and chose our own tops), or how much they liked my half-heartily styled hair. Only a sister would lie to me like they did :) And I love them for it.

We were placing a bid to host the convention next year in Podunk, and we all had to play a part in a skit of sorts. Our theme is the 1940s, and I'm pleased to say that we did get the bid, and New Mexico's state convention for 2009 will be in Podunk. I'm not sure yet if I'm pleased to say that I'm a co-chair for the convention, but I'm excited to see where it goes. Our statewide sisters were so encouraging and supportive and kind...and now I have a lot of sisterly love to live up to.

There's something very cool in knowing that I'm part of something as wonderful and loving as this group of women from all walks of life. It's a cheesy warm feeling that I hope propels me through the next time an item of clothing won't go over my rear or the next time I want to snap at somebody. You rock, sisters! Thanks for setting an example and for reminding me that I am loved by more than those that HAVE to love me.

2 comments:

DemingMicki said...

Dear Kate,
God has not "forsaken" Hatch, Deming or Lordsburg. Your comments "poverty stricken and poor", "large gang issue", "lots of illegals" and "the drought is so huge", makes me wonder what you are reading! Obviously not anything about the southwestern part of this state.
May I suggest spending some time learning about an area before you paint it with the brush of cliches.
Blogging is a wonderful way to express "oneself" but not to the detriment of others.
Come back when you have time to spend. I think you'll be surprised.

Kate said...

Demingmicki,

I did not say that Deming or Hatch or Lordsburg was foresaken by God--God is obviously everywhere. I think you took things a little too literal. Futher, perhaps the many law enforcement officers I have met, conversed, and work with, or perhaps the gang related graffiti labelling nearly every corner we drove through, or perhaps the numerous people bearing gang related tattoos are what lead me to believe that there are gang issues in Deming. I suppose that living in New Mexico and in reading the weather reports about our great state and in hearing those that live in the area praise the minimum rainfall that occurred and tell me that they're having trouble raising crops lead me to believe that New Mexico is in a drought. I guess I missed all the overflowing rivers and lakes that surround Deming and Hatch. I would wager that learning that the median income in the census of 2000 was $20K/household compared to where I live where the median income is $71K/household (as taken from Wikopedia). I have no doubt that lovely people live in Deming and in Hatch. I just don't want to be one of them. I believe that I am free to say what I enjoy and what I don't enjoy...at no time did I mean to be undermining or rude to those that live in the area. I sincerely doubt that anyone there would like to live in Podunk. I think you missed the larger point of the post, and I agree when you say that blogging is a wonderful way to express myself. Perhaps you'll remember this in reading my posts--it's my point of view, not written to give a darn about anybody else's point of view on the subject.